Bird Food Cover Crop Mix
Save 5% (orders over $99) - Use code Bulk5 at checkout
Save 10% (orders over $249) - Use code Bulk10 at checkout
Save 16% (orders over $749) - Use code Bulk16 at checkout
All orders are sent using Canada Post Flat Rate Shipping. Same price no matter how large or small the order. Order now and plant in spring, summer or fall! Seeds will store for at least 1 to 2 years.
Remember that ¼ to ⅓ of your growing area should be planted to green manure cover crops every year. This ensures your soil stays healthy and productive over time.
A perfect mix for feeding wild birds throughout the summer, fall and winter. Simply plant, water and watch as the birds arrive to enjoy the feast.
Early in the season, flowers will attract insects that birds use to feed their young. As late summer and fall arrive, ripening seed will provide food for young birds that have recently left their nest, as well as help nourish migrating birds on their way south for the winter. When the coldest months arrive, overwintering birds that remain will have an energy-rich supply of food to help them survive until spring.
Bird Food Mix establishes quickly providing soil cover and ground protection. It also creates habitat for wildlife and improves soil health by adding organic matter and loosening soil compaction with the extensive root systems.
Should be planted in late spring or early summer and grown for the entire season. Dead plants can tilled in late fall or be left standing all winter for maximum year-round bird feeding.
Mix includes (see pictures): White Millet (40%), Buckwheat (30%) Sunflower (20%), Sorghum-Sudangrass (10%)
250g covers approximately 1000 sq. ft
1 kg covers approximately 4000 sq. ft
- Hardiness: Annuals, frost-sensitive
- Growth Rate: Fast, Medium, Slow
- Germination: 3-14 days depending on species
- Planting Dates: May 1 - July 15 (at least 2 weeks after last frost)
- Seeding Rate: 250g per 1000 sq. ft (10kg per acre)
- Max Planting Depth: 0.75”
- Growth Habit: Mix of upright plants that produce an abundance of flowers and seed.
- Benefits: Bird food, habitat for wildlife and beneficial insects. Adds organic matter and improves soil structure.
- Sun Exposure: Part Shade to Full Sun
- Usual Seed Life: 2-3 years
- Cover Crop Management: Allow to grow all season and develop seeds. Can be left standing all winter to feed birds and wildlife. Till, mow or pull dead plants in late fall or early spring.
Highest Quality Standards
Our cover crop seed comes from high-quality stock and is tested for germination. We've selected the best varieties available in order to maximize each species potential.