Save 5% (orders over $99) - Use code Bulk5 at checkout
Save 10% (orders over $249) - Use code Bulk10 at checkout
Save 16% (orders over $749) - Use code Bulk16 at checkout
All orders are sent using Canada Post Flat Rate Shipping. Same price no matter how large or small the order. Order cover crops now and plant in spring, summer or fall! Seeds will store for 2 to 3 years.
Remember that ¼ to ⅓ of your growing area should be planted to green manure cover crops every year. This ensures your soil stays healthy and productive over time.
An amazing hybrid between Sorghum and Sudangrass that is quick growing, often reaching full size in 60 days after emergence. It is drought tolerant, thrives in hot weather and produces an enormous amount of biomass (up to 8 tons per acre!) adding lots of organic matter to the soil.
If left to grow, the vigorous plants can reach over 8 feet tall and send down extensive root systems that help improve soil compaction. Most growers cut the plants once they reach 2 feet tall to increase the amount of biomass production. Cutting is usually done 2 to 3 times per season and can be left on the soil to decompose or harvested as forage for livestock.
Sorghum Sudan Grass creates an extremely thick canopy that is very good for preventing weeds. It is also known to suppress some pest nematode species making it an ideal planting between certain crops like garlic.
As a warm-season grass, its seeds require warm soil temperatures to germinate, so it is best to plant no earlier than late May or early June. Can be planted as late as August and will still produce a sizable amount of biomass. The plants can be left growing until they winter kill, however, it is best to till before ground freezes as the biomass can be hard to manage in spring.
Untreated, Non-GEO Seed
250g covers 500 sq. ft
1 kg covers 2000 sq. ft
- Latin Name: Sorghum × drummondii
- Hardiness: Annual. Plant after last spring frost
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Germination: 10-14 days
- Planting Dates: May 20 - August 10
- Seeding Rate: 500g per 1000 sq. ft (20kg per acre)
- Max Planting Depth: 0.75” (clay) - 1.5” (sand)
- Growth Habit: Very tall and erect grass
- Benefits: Establishes quickly, huge biomass production, soil builder, suppresses weeds, drought and heat tolerant
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Usual Seed Life: 2-3 years
- Cover Crop Management: Mow at 2ft for increased biomass production. Stocks can become fibrous & hard to manage if not mowed.
Highest Quality Standards
Our cover crop seed comes from high-quality stock and is tested for germination. We've selected the best varieties available to maximize each species potential.