Garden Cover Crop Mix
Save 5% (orders over $99) - Use code Bulk5 at checkout
Save 10% (orders over $249) - Use code Bulk10 at checkout
Save 16% (orders over $749) - Use code Bulk16 at checkout
We offer Flat-Rate Shipping. Same price no matter the order size.
Cover crops can be planted in spring, summer or fall! Remember that ¼ to ⅓ of your growing area should be planted to green manure cover crops every year. This ensures your soil stays healthy and productive.
Seeds will store for at least 1 to 2 years.
A great mix of fast-germinating species that are easy to use and perfect for gardens or small acreages. Can be planted anytime during the growing season, making it extremely versatile and not dependent on weather.
Garden Cover Crop Mix will add nitrogen, increase organic matter and improve the soil structure. The extensive root systems will loosen soil compaction and help feed the soil microbes that make productive soils healthy.
It also acts as a complete ground cover that protects the soil from erosion and aggressively suppresses weeds, making it a top choice on our farm!
Best to allow the cover crop to grow at least 8 weeks or all season. Can be mowed when oats go to seed and then allowed to continue growing or can be left alone until late fall. Till or mow when finished. If planted late can be left standing and allowed to winter-kill.
Mix includes (see pictures): Oats (40.4%), Peas (40.4%), Crimson Clover (4%), Sunflower (3.1%), Persian Clover (3.1%), Italian Ryegrass (3.1%), Sorghum-Sudangrass (3.1%), Daikon Radish (1.3%), Siberian Millet (1.3%)
1 kg covers approximately 1000 sq. ft
4 kg covers approximately 4000 sq. ft
FOR PLANTING PURPOSES ONLY. Seed should not be used as food or feed.
Can be used with EcoTea Seed Inoculant for increased nutrient efficiency, improved root development and higher disease resistance.
- Hardiness: Annual, mix of hardy and frost-sensitive
- Growth Rate: Fast, Medium
- Germination: 5-14 days depending on species
- Planting Dates: May 1 - October 1
- Seeding Rate: 1kg per 1000 sq. ft
- Max Planting Depth: 0.5”
- Growth Habit: Mix of tall upright and low-lying plants that produce a large amount of biomass.
- Benefits: Adds organic matter, improves soil structure, increases nitrogen, habitat for wildlife, beneficial insects and soil microbes.
- Sun Exposure: Part Shade to Full Sun
- Usual Seed Life: 1-2 years
- Cover Crop Management: Allow to grow at least 8 weeks or all season. Can be mowed once when oats go to seed and then allowed to continue growing. Till or mow when finished. If planted late can be left standing and allowed to winter-kill.
Highest Quality Standards
Our cover crop seed comes from high-quality stock and is tested for germination. We've selected the best varieties available to maximize each species' potential.