Save 5% (orders over $99) - Use code Bulk5 at checkout
Save 10% (orders over $249) - Use code Bulk10 at checkout
Save 16% (orders over $749) - Use code Bulk16 at checkout
We offer Flat-Rate Shipping. Same price no matter the order size.
Cover crops can be planted in spring, summer or fall! Remember that ¼ to ⅓ of your growing area should be planted to green manure cover crops every year. This ensures your soil stays healthy and productive.
Seeds will store for at least 1 to 2 years.
Annual ryegrass is a vigorous cool-season grass with an extensive fibrous root system that can grow up to three times deeper than its top growth. When used as a cover crop, it helps prevent erosion, builds soil organic matter, improves soil tilth, captures residual nitrogen and can significantly increase the rooting depth of other crops.
Annual ryegrass is extremely versatile and can be planted as a singular cover crop, combined with other green manure species or used as a temporary lawn. It can be grazed, used as forage or tilled to add organic matter to the soil.
It is best to mow before plants form seed heads for maximum biomass production, leaving at least 3 inches of plant height if regrowth is desired.
Late-summer to fall planting is considered the best time, however, it can also be planted in early spring. Ideally, fall planting should occur at least 50 days before hard freezing arrives. Plants can be overwintered in zone 6 or warmer when planted in fall. In colder climates, the plants will be winterkilled and can be tilled just before the ground freezes or first thing in spring.
Untreated, Non-GEO Seed
250g covers approximately 1000 sq. ft
1 kg covers approximately 4000 sq. ft
- Latin Name: Lolium multiflorum
- Hardiness: Hardy Annual, Winter Annual
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Germination: 7-10 days
- Planting Dates: Apr 15 - Jun 1, Aug 15 - Oct 15
- Seeding Rate: 250g per 1000 sq. ft (10kg per acre)
- Max Planting Depth: 1” - 1.5"
- Growth Habit: Upright and erect grass. Plants grow up to 36” tall as they form heads
- Benefits: Extensive root system, adds organic matter, improves soil structure, captures nutrients
- Sun Exposure: Part Shade to Full Sun
- Usual Seed Life: 2-3 years
- Cover Crop Management: Mow or graze before heads form, leaving at least 3” of growth. Can be tilled in fall or spring.
Highest Quality Standards
Our cover crop seed comes from high-quality stock and is tested for germination. We've selected the best varieties available to maximize each species' potential.