Save 5% (orders over $99) - Use code Bulk5 at checkout
Save 10% (orders over $249) - Use code Bulk10 at checkout
Save 16% (orders over $749) - Use code Bulk16 at checkout
We offer Flat-Rate Shipping. Same price no matter the order size.
Cover crops can be planted in spring, summer or fall! Remember that ¼ to ⅓ of your growing area should be planted to green manure cover crops every year. This ensures your soil stays healthy and productive.
Seeds can be stored for 1 to 2 years.
One of our favourite cover crop choices that we use on our farm every year!
Radish Doublemax is a type of Fodder Radish that is used as an excellent natural biofumigant. It helps to prevent or reduce populations of many damaging pest nematodes while supporting soil health. It is a perfect cover crop planted before or after most vegetables such as garlic, potatoes, beets, carrots, beans and cucumbers.
The succulent plants have rapid top growth and form a complete canopy that is well-suited for erosion control and weed suppression. Radish DoubleMax has a long slender lower taproot that can grow up to several feet deep, helping break up compacted subsoil. The swollen upper taproots release nutrients when decomposing and help to improve soil tilth.
Radish Doublemax is a late flowering variety, which allows for added root and top growth. Seedlings are tolerant to frost (-3°C), however, it is best to plant in late spring through early fall to delay flowering and maximize biomass development.
Plants will generally winterkill and can either be tilled in summer, late fall or spring after they have been killed from freezing.
Untreated, Non-GEO Seed
250g covers approximately 1500 sq. ft
1 kg covers approximately 6000 sq. ft
- Latin Name: Raphanus sativus
- Hardiness: Annual, will usually winterkill
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Germination: 7 days
- Planting Dates: May 21 - Sep 1
- Seeding Rate: 100-200g per 1000 sq. ft (4-7kg per acre)
- Max Planting Depth: 0.25”-0.5”
- Growth Habit: Grow 2-3 ft tall. Seedling develops as rosette, then elongates with the flower stalk
- Benefits: Fast-growing, biofumigant, loosens compacted soil, quickly releases nutrients when decomposing.
- Sun Exposure: Part Shade to Full Sun
- Usual Seed Life: 5 years
- Cover Crop Management: Mow or till at 25-50% blooming. Will replant itself if left to go to seed. Tilling maximizes the biofumigation process.
Highest Quality Standards
Our cover crop seed comes from high-quality stock and is tested for germination. We've selected the best varieties available to maximize each species' potential.